Fast Facts about the Democrats’ economic rescue plan:
• The plan establishes at least 32 new government programs at a cost of over $136 billion. That means more than a third of this plan’s spending provisions are dedicated to creating new government programs.
• Even though the legislation contains at least 152 separate spending proposals, the authors of the plan can only say that 34 have any chance at keeping or growing jobs.
• The Congressional Budget Office has issued a report showing that much of the stimulus spending would not occur quickly and therefore won’t help the economy now.
• Although the proposal has been billed as a transportation and infrastructure investment package, in actuality only $30 billion of the bill – or three percent – is for road and highway spending.
• Examples of pet projects Democrats wanted included in the rescue plan:
$600 million for new cars for the federal government.
$335 million for STD prevention
$50 million in funding for the National Endowment of the Arts.
$44 million for repairs to U.S. Department of Agriculture headquarters.
$200 million for the National Mall, including $21 million for sod.
$4 billion in assistance for "nonprofit entities or consortia of nonprofit entities” including ACORN, which is currently under criminal investigation.
This is clearly more about pork barrel spending and political payback to democrat supporters than is about "stimulating" the US economy. At least know we know what the democrats priorities are.