Urbin Report

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Cleaning up the audio

Darleen at Protein Wisdom points out the careful editing done to protect Princess Caroline.

Here is the actual transcript of Princess Caroline's statement:

“And so, I, I’m an unconventional choice, I, er, understand that. I haven’t pursued the traditional path. But I think that, um, in our public life today, we, you know, are starting to see there are many ways into, to, public life and public service and it’s, uh, not as, um, all our institutions are … less, um, hierarchal then they used to be, and so, you know, I think that, you know, I bring, you know, my life experience to this and, you know, that includes, you know, um, being a mother, um I understand sort of those choices that women make that includes, uh, being a lawyer …”

Here is what the AP compressed that down to:
“I am an unconventional choice. I understand that. I haven’t pursued the traditional path. But I think that in our public life today, we’re starting to see there are many ways into public life and public service,”


Darleen points out:
In the 2 minute 16 second snippet of the grilled-cheese sandwich interview AP released, I counted 26 “you knows”.
...
However, the AP article gives long, coherent quotes to Caroline that are not supported by the audio segment. And certainly AP and others never “cleaned up” any of Governor Palin’s off-the-cuff remarks.


I agree with Darleen, before expecting to be anointed to the US Senate, Princess Caroline should try running for some elected office first. Such as her local PTA board, and actually show up to the meetings.