Urbin Report

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Know the science before making accusations

I had a friend tell me, in a very accusatory fashion, “Dude, you don’t even believe in Global Warming.”
I replied that I didn’t believe in the Cult of Algore, but scientific study has shown that the planet has clearly been getting warming since the end of the Little Ice Age in the middle of the 19th Century. To which my accuser replied, “The what?” So I explained to him about the well documented period where the Thames froze solid enough that the city of London had “Ice Festivals”, where people built shacks on the in the middle of the river and people walked out to them for a good three months out of the year. This was well documented in the literature and newspapers of the time. “So,” I continued, “the planet is obviously warmer than it was during the Little Ice age. The question is will it get as warm as it was during the Medieval Warm Period.” To this bit of actual scientific data, as opposed to the Cult of Algore scare mongering, he replied, “I don’t know about that.” So, I explained that this was the period prior to the Little Ice Age, where temperatures were warmer than they are now (and there is no evidence that Manhattan was under water then). There are records of wheat being grown in Greenland and that the London area was good wine country at this time. Even today, there are street names and other parts of London that reference vineyards and wine production. This was well before the Industrial Revolution, so clearly “man made green house gases” had nothing to do with that global warm period.

The actual science that I presented failed to convince my friend, I think it was because his wife is “True Believer” in the Cult of Algore, which has been proven to cherry pick and even twist data to fit their model, and has been filling his head with crap. I pointed out that there was a lot of real data available for anyone to check. Hopefully he took the time to do his own research rather than accept the junk science of the Cult of Algore.