Urbin Report

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Doc Savage Movie Rumors...

This is from UseNet, so take it for what it's worth:

From: Tahir - view profile
Date: Wed, Nov 22 2006 3:12 pm
Email: "Tahir"
Groups: alt.fan.doc-savage

It has been 11 months since I last made contact with Jerry, a Conde
Nast lawyer in charge of the copyrights to Doc Savage. Let me go back
and provide some background for this post.

Over a year ago Mary, a long-time Doc fan, sent me a copy of a letter
she got from this same lawyer. They could not grant her permission for
making a Doc product as Conde Nast told her they were close to making a
deal for a new Doc movie and they could not allow third parties to make
Doc items as there would be a merchandising component to the new movie.

As the letter had Jerry's e-mail, I decided to see what would happen
with an e-mail query for more specifics about this possible movie. This
was his reply back in October of 2005:

"The only thing I can tell you at this time is that we have excellent
producer and a top notch director interested in doing a new Doc Savage
movie, and that we are in serious discussions with a major studio for
rights to the film. At this point I cannot say more, but we are very
hopeful of concluding a deal in the near future. Thank you for your
interest. Hopefully soon I can tell you more."

After I posted this other members of this group told me that this was
not the standard or typical response from the Conde Nast lawyers in
charge of Doc Savage.

Just yesterday I decided to send Jerry another e-mail to see if
anything has transpired on the Doc Savage movie front. He promptly sent
me this e-mail back today:

Dear Mr. Bhatti:

"I am pleased to tell you that the movie rights have been licensed to a
major studio, as referred to below (this referring the last e-mail he
had sent, which is written above). I cannot provide any more detail at
this time, but we are very excited."

Jerry

It may be moving at a snails pace, but the rights have been licensed.
Now we as Doc fans have to do some digging to see if we have any
contacts to learn what studio got the rights and who is the director,
producer, etc?

If any one has any clues or leads, please speak up.

Thanks, Tahir