Urbin Report

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Susan Estrich on Fox News

Susan Estrich is a passionate liberal who has ventured into the lions den, i.e. she works at Fox News.
She's written a column of what it's like to be a liberal working at a news organization villified by most leftists.
Take the time to read the whole thing. Here are some highlights:

Prior to working for Fox, I worked for ABC and NBC, spent a lot of time at CNN, and almost ended up at CBS. I worked for a bunch of local stations in Los Angeles and had a talk-radio show at KABC for six years. In other words, I'm fortunate enough to have been around, and Fox News is the best place I've ever worked.
...
I also work there because of my respect for Roger Ailes, the man who created it, and hired me, and to whom I am extremely loyal for reasons having nothing to do with ideology and everything to do with integrity.
...
The criticisms [by the left against Fox News] have gotten personal, the tone has changed, the volume is up, and the value is down.
...
Three times as many people watch Fox every day as watch CNN. There were certainly times during the last campaign where I disagreed with decisions made by young Fox producers. But without exception, every time I raised an issue, I won. The joke was that I would tell them to set their stopwatches and transfer me to Ailes, so they could time how long it would take me to get their decisions reversed.

It never came to that, but everyone understood the commitment not to make decisions that would even give the appearance that Dean so cavalierly bandies about.

Is Fox News different from the other places I've worked? Sure. But all of the rest were pretty much alike, which is the larger point that Dean ignores.

HT to Mr. Harris