Urbin Report

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Bravo Mr. Bray!

Boston Globe columnist and member of the Newspaper Guild, Hiawatha Bray, writes an open letter to Guild President Linda Foley.
He takes her to task for her allegations of the US Military having assassination policies against journalists.
Mr. Bray points out that Ms. Foley has failed to provide supporting evidence for her remarks, nor has she retracted them.
Here is a portion of Mr. Bray's open letter.

I spoke with you at 11:10 AM today by telephone; union secretary-treasurer Bernard Lunzer was also on the call.

When I told you that I would publish your response to me on the Internet, you declined further comment--except for the following: "I am not going to discuss this with you on the eve of Memorial Day weekend."

This remark strikes me as extremely odd. I can't think of a better time to redeem the honor of the US military by beginning a serious investigation of outrageous conduct on its part. If our soldiers are deliberately killing journalists, it's our duty to publicize it, so that such a terrible stain on our nation's integrity may be quickly cleansed.

If, as I believe, your charge is false, I can think of no better time to retract this slander.
...
I therefore call upon you to state clearly and unambiguously whether you believe that any branch of the US military or government has adopted a deliberate policy of targeting journalists in war zones. This is a simple question, easily answered. I can see no rational reason for you to hesitate about answering it.

At a time when the public's trust in the integrity of journalism is at a new low, our profession can't afford to encourage the perception that we're economical with the truth.

Read the whole thing.

HT to the Captain.

Check Flopping Aces for more details.