Urbin Report

Friday, April 22, 2005

Happy Birthday Bettie!

The nice man at Beautiful Atrocities reminds us that today is Bettie Page's birthday.

Bettie Page aka the Girl with the Perfect Figure. 36 - 24 -36½

Born April 22 1923, Nashville, TN. Difficult childhood included stint in orphanage. Salutatorian of high school class, voted Most Likely to Succeed. In 1950, while walking on Coney Island, met Jerry Tibbs, police officer & amateur photographer who put together her first portfolio (& suggested trademark bangs). Quickly became most popular pinup in America.

Playboy centerfold, Miss Pin-Up Girl of the Year. Declined date with Howard Hughes.

My favorite Bettie Page quote:
"I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer. I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time. I didn't think of myself as liberated, & I don't believe that I did anything important. I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."


Thanks Bettie!