Urbin Report

Saturday, March 26, 2005

A note on digital cameras

My last digital Camera was a Canon Powershot S30. It took really nice pictures. However, based on my personal experience, Canon engineers their digital cameras to have a critical failure after 13 to 16 months. Since they only have a one year warrantee, this is not good for Canon camera owners. I would be happier if Canon built a quality product that would last at least two years, or at least stand behind their products when they die under normal use.

It seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Here are some reviews of the S30 from Amazon.

Then one day I turned it on to review pictures taken at a wedding the weekend before and nothing happened. No error message, no reaction to replacement with a fresh-charged battery, stone dead. ...I feel like it is a ticking time bomb that could die again at any time

Wouldn't you know, just out of the warranty period, the camera stops working. I test the battery just before my daughter's soccer game, then hop in the car. Get to the game and....the thing won't work.

I have had this camera from about 18 months. ... Now it has stopped working altogether.

Very nice little camera. The service is very poor.