Urbin Report

Sunday, October 19, 2003

What happened to putting the party first?

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) - Attorney General Bill Lockyer, often mentioned as a possible Democratic candidate for California governor in 2006, said Saturday he voted for Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger in this month's recall election.

"It was the first time I ever voted for a Republican in my life," Lockyer said during a speech at the Institute for Governmental Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. "What Arnold Schwarzenegger represented for me was hope, optimism and change, and I want that."

Asked why he didn't vote for his fellow Democrat, Lockyer said, "You know the people in your profession really well. You know who works hard and who doesn't. Cops know that about cops. Doctors know that about doctors. I know that about politicians."