Urbin Report

Saturday, August 16, 2003

I Need To Post Something For Today

William Shatner Wants To Do What?

And while he wouldn't discuss specifics, Shatner said he has an idea for a new "Star Trek" series.

"In fact, I'm trying to interest the powers -- and that has many levels to it -- for me to conceive another 'Star Trek' manifestation," he said. "It would be a concept for a series."

The former Captain Kirk actually made his directorial film debut with 1989's "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier," which, until the most recent "Trek" flick, was considered the series' critical and financial low point.

The 72-year-old Shatner placed much of the blame for the film's failings with his then-inability to negotiate with those in charge.

"I think in terms of a political experience for me, I had to play the game with the studio, the producers, with the suits, and I didn't quite know how to do all that," he said. "I didn't know when to stand on principle and when to be politic. That's a very difficult decision in any life, let alone when making a movie.

"I learned a great deal. I probably compromised myself out of a terrific movie."


Uh Bill? Perhaps Star Trek V sucked because it was written and directed by line-counting, scenery-chewing ham whose sense of humor barely qualifies as sophmoric?

I would have said kosher ham, but there are some kosher foods that I like.

-- Les