Urbin Report

Thursday, August 28, 2003

From the Washington Times, Al Franken lied (no surprise there)


Left-wing comedian Al Franken readily admits he lied in a letter to Attorney General John Ashcroft and others. And that's not all. Mr. Franken also admits to deception by misappropriating the letterhead from Harvard's Shorenstein Center for Press, Politics and Public Policy
The irony: Mr. Franken's new book is called "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them."
Matt Lauer, on NBC's "Today" show Monday, did not let Mr. Franken get away without explaining himself. The conversation was recorded by the Media Research Center (www.mediaresearch.org).
Mr. Lauer: "They're gonna kill me downstairs, but I gotta ask you, I don't want you to go without asking about an apology you were forced to issue ... I guess it was last week. You sent a letter to John Ashcroft, the attorney general of the United States."
Mr. Franken: "I sent it like to 27 people."
Mr. Lauer: "And you basically said, 'Look I'm doing a book on, on abstinence and, and I've gotten positive responses from other key administration officials.' "
Mr. Franken: "Yeah, can I, can I read it real quick?"
Mr. Lauer: "No, no, I don't have time for that. But you sent it on Harvard letterhead, the Shorenstein Center for Press, Politics and Public Policy. They didn't know anything about this."
Mr. Franken: "Yeah. Right, right."
Mr. Lauer: "You had not, in fact, received positive responses from these. ..."
Mr. Franken: "Right."
Mr. Lauer: "So, in, in effect, you misled or lied."
Mr. Franken: "Exactly."